More about to the old Clonard Monastery in Ireland (C. Meath)   Clonard (Irish, Cluain Eraird, or Cluain Ioraird, Erard's Meadow) was situated on the beautiful river Boyne, just beside the boundary line of the northern and southern halves of Ireland. The founder of this school, the most famous of the sixth century, was St. Finnian, an abbot and great wonder-worker. He was born at Myshall, County Carlow, about 470. At an early age he was placed under the care of St. Fortchern, by whose direction, it is said, he proceeded to Wales to perfect himself in holiness and sacred knowledge under the great saints of that country. After a long sojourn there, of thirty years according to the Salamanca MS., he returned to his native land and went about from place to place, preaching, teaching, and founding churches, till he was at last led by an angel to Cluain Eraird, which he was told would be the place of his resurrection.

Here he built a little cell and a church of clay and wattle, which after some time gave way to a substantial stone structure, and entered on a life of study, mortification, and prayer. The fame of his learning and sanctity was soon noised abroad, and scholars of all ages flocked from every side to his monastic retreat — young laymen and clerics, abbots and bishops even, and those illustrious saints who were afterwards known as the "Twelve Apostles of Erin". 

In the Office of St. Finnian it is stated that there were no fewer than 3000 pupils getting instruction at one time in the school in the green fields of Clonard under the broad canopy of heaven. The master excelled in exposition of the Sacred Scriptures, and to this fact must be mainly attributed the extraordinary popularity which his lectures enjoyed. The exact date of the saint's death is uncertain, but it was probably 552, and his burial-place is in his own church of Clonard. 

For centuries after his death the school continued to be renowned as a seat of Scriptural learning, but it suffered at the hands of the Danes, especially in the eleventh century, and two wretched Irishmen, O'Rorke of Breifney and Dermod McMurrough, helped to complete the unholy work which the Northmen had begun. With the transference by the Norman Bishop de Rochfort, in 1206, of the See of Meath from Clonard to Trim, the glory of the former place departed forever. Irish Life in Book of Lismore; HEALY, Ireland's Ancient Schools and Scholars (Dublin, 1890).

 

After  the dissolution of the monasteries by order of Henry VIII, the lands of the Clergy were confiscated, passing  to be the property of Sir Thomas Cusack, Chancellor of Ireland and whose daughter Elizabeth  was married to  John de Sutton, Count of Clonard. 

The deterioration in the monastery buildings during the last centuries before lands were taken by the Chancellor of Ireland was already  a clear evidence, However it was improved by the Clonard-Cusack clan who obviously allowed  the "monks" to remain in their "new lands", under the pseudonime of farmers.

In spite of  History's  turbulences the ruins of Cluain-Iraird, stayed visible up to 1798 - year in which -  the "Battle of Clonard" took place, although Cromwell (c.1648) in his previous pass by this holy place , destroyed the few buildings wich they had been able to preserve and to maintain still on. 

Cromwell, as the largest of  massacrors left Clonard in ruins and without their inhabitants, so by this way his repressive activity on the Papists or Catholics , would be never forgotten

  1. Sources: Looking forward to the past Clonard Heritage Trail - County Meath Office

  • Sources: Sutton Dudley de Clonard House in Spain, Eire and UK. - (A Bourbon Branch in Spain since 1851)

  •  

    St.- Finian of Clonard

    Lady Clonard Web Site

     

     

    N.B. :Iraird or Erard was a Celtic Solar Divinity

    OHN HEALY
    Transcribed by Anthony J. Stokes-
    The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume IV
    Copyright © 1908 by Robert Appleton Company
    Online Edition Copyright © 1999 by Kevin Knight
    Nihil Obstat. Remy Lafort, Censor
    Imprimatur. +John M. Farley, Archbishop of New York

     

     

    Cluain Ioraird in County Meath

    (Spanish version)

     

     

    NOTAS SOBRE SAN FINIANO, FUNDADOR DE CLONARD

    (Monasterio que existió en el Condado de Meath, destruido durante las "Guerras de Religión" protestantes)

     

     

     

    San Finiano de Clonard fue el más distinguido de los santos de Irlanda en el período inmediatamente posterior al de San Patricio.

    Los relatos de su vida están llenos de contradicciones y anacronismos. Tres siglos después de su muerte, se creía que había pasado largo tiempo en Gales, siendo ya monje.

    Se cuenta que estuvo algún tiempo en el monasterio de San Cadoc de Nantcarfan, y que acabó milagrosamente con las plagas que echaban a perder las cosechas de la isla en el estuario de Severn, llamada actualmente Flatholm.

    Entre otros muchos milagros que se le atribuyen, se dice que salvó a sus huéspedes de los piratas sajones, haciendo que un terremoto se tragase el campamento de los invasores. San Finiano tenía la intención de hacer una peregrinación a Roma con San Cadoc, pero un ángel le disuadió de ello y le ordenó que volviese a Irlanda.

    Aunque es imposible probarlo en detalle, parece que San Finiano estuvo bajo la influencia de San Cadoc, San Gildas y otros monjes ingleses, por la importancia que le atribuía a los estudios y el énfasis que ponía en la superioridad de la vida monástica.

    A su regreso a Irlanda, el santo fundó varias iglesias en Leinster y las escuelas y monasterios de Aghowle y Mugna. En este último monasterio se tramó contra él una conspiración, en efecto, Cormac, el hijo del reyezuelo del lugar, indujo a su hermano mayor, Crimtan a que persiguiera al santo, con la esperanza de que así pereciese en la empresa. El siniestro plan de Cormac tuvo éxito hasta cierto punto, ya que Crimtan trató de expulsar a San Finiano por la fuerza y, al hacerlo, se rompió la pierna.

    El monasterio más importante de San Finiano estaba situado en Clonard (Cluain Ioraird) en el actual Condado  de Meath. Poco después de la llegada del santo a ese sitio, fue a visitarle un pagano de cierta edad llamado Fraechman, que era un mago muy famoso. San Finiano le preguntó si su arte procedía de Dios o de alguien más. Fraechman replicó: 'A vos toca averiguarlo'. Finiano repuso: 'Muy bien. Decidme entonces dónde se halla el sitio de mi resurrección'. 'No en la tierra, sino en el cielo', fue la respuesta. El santo le dijo: 'Tratad otra vez de adivinarlo' .Fracchan volvió a dar la misma respuesta. 'Tratad otra vez', le dijo Finiano levantándose de su asiento. Entonces el mago, comprendiendo que San Finiano se estaba burlando de él, le respondió: 'El sitio de tu resurrección es el sitio en el que estabas sentado'.

    La réplica del mago resultó cierta, ya que la sede de Finiano era Clonard, donde tuvo el santo muchos discípulos, y sus enseñanzas produjeron una verdadera resurrección de la religión y el saber. Según se dice, llegó a tener 3,000 discípulos, por lo que se le llamó 'el maestro de los santos de Irlanda', o simplemente 'El Maestro' y se dijo de él que irradiaba bondad y sabiduría para iluminar al mundo, lo mismo que el sol desde lo alto del cielo'.

    Varios santos muy posteriores debieron su santidad a las enseñanzas de San Finiano. Fue famoso por su conocimiento de la Sagrada Escritura y su celebridad de exegeta se perpetuó durante muchos siglos en Clonard. Pero la escuela bíblica sufrió mucho durante las invasiones de los daneses y de los normandos; finalmente, a principios del siglo XIII, el monasterio de Clonard dejó de ser el centro religioso de la diócesis de Meath y se transformó en monasterio de agustinos, en cuyas manos estuvo hasta el siglo XVI. Tanto en sus viajes misioneros como durante su estancia en Clonard, San Finiano, que murió durante la epidemia de fiebre amarilla, a mediados del siglo VI, ofreció su vida por sus compatriotas, la fiesta de San Finiano de Clonard se celebra en toda Irlanda. Aunque suele venerársele como obispo, es dudoso que lo haya sido.

     

    Fuentes: Oisin Breatnach - Octubre 2008

     

     

    Other Web Sites:

    Clonard 1798

    Sutton Organization

    Clonard images 

    Sutton de Clonard Family in France

    La Perouse and Robert Sutton De Clonard 

    Irish White pages

    History of the Irish Race

    Sutton de Clonard Genealogy

    Folk  Music of Ireland

    The Celtic World: Milesios

    Old Irish Mythology The Early Modern Atlantic Economy  

     

     

    "The roots of our Irish ancestors,
    are the sap that nourishes our thoughts.
    Roots that flowing from our dreams,
    which have tenaciously taken,
    our deepest hopes,
    and yearnings of Justice"

    Go to Ireland Official Web page (Republic of Ireland)

     

    NOTE /NOTA:

     

    English : Spanish :
     After  the dissolution of the monasteries by order of Henry VIII, the lands of the Clergy were confiscated, passing  to be the property of Sir Thomas Cusack, Chancellor of Ireland and whose daughter Elizabeth  was married to  John de Sutton, Count of Clonard. 

    The deterioration in the monastery buildings during the last centuries before lands were taken by the Chancellor of Ireland was already  a clear evidence but it could be improved by the Clonard-Cusack. who obviously allowed  the "monks" to remained in their "new lands", under the pseudonime of farmers.

    In spite of  History's  turbulences the ruins of Cluain-Iraird, stayed visible up to 1798 - year in which -  the "Battle of Clonard" took place, although Cromwell (c.1648) in his previous pass by this holy place , destroyed the few buildings wich they had been able to preserve and to maintain still on. 

    Cromwell, like most of the genocidas left Clonard in ruins and without their inhabitants, so by this way hiss repressive activity on the Papist or Catholics , would be never forgotten

    Sources: Looking forward to the past Clonard Heritage Trail

    County Meath Office

    Con la disolución de los monasterios por orden de Enrique VIII, las tierras cedidas al Clero fueron confiscadas, pasando a ser propiedad de Thomas Cusack, Canciller de Irlanda y cuya hija Elizabeth era la esposa de John de Sutton, Conde de Clonard. .El deterioro en los edificios del monasterio durante los siglos que procedieron la toma de posesión por el Canciller de Irlanda era ya de una clara evidencia, aunque una parte considerable de este lugar venerado todavía hoy, pudo restaurarse por los Clonard-Cusack. quienes obviamente permitieron que los “monjes” permanecieran en sus tierras, bajo la denominación de labradores.

    A pesar de las turbulencias de la Historia las ruinas de Cluain-Iraird, se mantuvieron visibles hasta 1798 año en que tuvo lugar la “Batalla de Clonard”, aunque Cromwell (c.1648) en su paso previo por este lugar santo,destruyó lo poco que se había podido conservar y mantener en pie.

    Cromwell, como casi todos los genocidas, abandonó Clonard en ruinas y sin sus habitantes, para que su acción represiva sobre los Católicos  Papistas, no fuera jamás olvidada

    Fuentes: Looking forward to the past Clonard Heritage Trail

    Oficina del Condado de Meath